Beautiful Blackbird is written and illustrated by Ashley Bryan.
This book was published by Atheneum; 1st ed edition January 1, 2003.
This book is appropriate for 2-4 grades.
This is a Zambian tale about a blackbird. When gray Ringdove calls the other monotone birds together and asks, "Who of all is the most beautiful?" they all reply, "Blackbird." Blackbird agrees to paint black markings on them (with the blackening brew in his medicine gourd), but he warns Ringdove that it's not the color black that will make them beautiful. "Color on the outside is not what's on the inside whatever I do I'll be me and you'll be you."
This book could also be used to teach a unit on Africa or Zambia.
I loved the illustration in this book. You really had to look at them to see the message.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment